Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scoring the Page One Challenge

If you read my Page One analysis of West of Here yesterday (see below), in which I try to see how much one can determine about a book simply from reading its first page, perhaps you are wondering how I did, and whether the things I guessed at turned out to be correct. As a matter of fact, I did reasonably well. If you choose to read the book, and if you get to the end of the book (which eventually you will if you persist) you will discover (and note that I am being careful here not to be a plot spoiler) that:

*Krig is a major character (one of a cast of tens, but major nonetheless);

*Krig does drink a lot of beer;

*Someone does fall in the water; and

*a key theme of the book is man pitting himself nature (why, you ask? because it is there, of course!).

Score four for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment